Saturday, March 20, 2010

Melissa Osborn, ENDOW Board Member and facilitator, Colorado

Growing up Lent meant giving up chocolate for 40 days, except Sundays that Nana said were exempt days, and waiting for that big chocolate bunny on Easter morning. However, some things need to change. Not too many years ago I went to an Ash Wednesday Mass with my husband and Fr. Mike Glen spoke about getting involved in Lent beyond the traditional giving things up. He challenged us to make a commitment such as daily scripture readings, increased time and attention to spiritual reflection, or attending mass more frequently. That year my husband and I decided to read the gospel of Mark together little by little each night before bed. For both of us it brought a entirely new and wonderful meaning to Lent. Today I see Lent as a time to get more connected with my faith and with the Lord. Of course, I still wait eagerly for that big chocolate bunny on Easter Sunday - some things never change!

No comments:

Post a Comment