Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Martha Reichert, ENDOW Board Member, Colorado

There has been some talk recently, in my circle of friends, about fasting. This is Catholic code for, “Lent is coming!” My friends and I were marveling at how hard it is to deny ourselves – especially when it comes to food and drink. Why is this, we wondered? Whenever I ponder things of this sort, I like to turn to the saints to see what they think. There is a story that St. Teresa of Lisieux relayed in her autobiography, The Story of a Soul. St. Teresa’s sister, Celine, was attempting to explain heaven to little Teresa: she showed her two glasses, one large and one small. Celine filled both glasses to the rim. “Which one is full?” she asked. “Both are full, ” little Teresa answered. This is how heaven is – God fills each of us to our maximum capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment