Monday, March 29, 2010

Lora Ostach, ENDOW facilitator, Michigan

Lent is a very special time of year. It’s all about Baptism. Yes it’s a solemn, pensive and sacrificial time, “time in the dessert. But for me, Lent is an exciting time, filled with anticipation and awe. It’s the time when I recall my baptismal promise. It's the time I relive the special events in my life leading up to baptism day. You see, I was baptized as an adult at our Easter Vigil in 2006. I was there, in the presence of God, openly participating, basking in His Grace and reveling in His Glory, taking in every moment of those forty days of Lent leading to that most special day.
I remember like it was yesterday the Rite of Election on that First Sunday of Lent. It was my commitment to the Catholic Church as I signed my name in the BOOK of the ELECT and was blessed by the Bishop of our Archdiocese. I remember the three weeks of Scrutinies and how I reflected on my own life and my sins and allowed God to scrutinize me and heal me. The traditions of praying, fasting and almsgiving began to take hold in my heart and gave me the help I needed to prepare my soul for Christ and His gift of Eternal Life that He was about to give to me. The parishioners, my catholic mentors were reflective, solemn, sincere. Palm Sunday was like no other Sunday and Holy week was almost too much to bear. My heart was bursting with love and pain. I remember it like it was yesterday; I celebrate Lent like it was my first Lent.
Not everyone is lucky enough to remember their baptism and the events leading up to it. Lent is the chance to imagine all that it was, all that it is and all that it stands for and prepare for that glorious moment. Jesus wants us to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment