Sunday, February 21, 2010

Gloria Zapian, ENDOW Diocesan Leader, Texas

When I was growing up and attending Catholic school, Lent meant fish sticks and quiet recess on Friday – we could read a book or play outside, but we had to be silent. It was tough for some of the others, but I loved the “quiet time” – I still do. These days, I “fast” from radio, TV, and extraneous media and computer (too often, the 21st century “idiot box”) time and spend my time praying the rosary in my car, listening to CD’s of past religious conferences I’ve attended, doing reading that actually requires engaging the brain (this year’s project: Edith Stein’s Essays on Woman and a collection of insights from great spiritual writers – Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox), and just being quiet; because as Elijah the prophet discovered, the voice of the Lord was not to be found in the ranging whirlwind, earthquake, or fire he experienced, but in the sound of a breeze gentle blowing – all too often drowned out by our busy, noisy lives. Just as the Jesus went into the desert for 40 days to be alone with his Father before beginning his ministry– I like Lent to be a bit of “desert time” with the Lord. As far as Lent goes, you might say I like the strong, silent type.

No comments:

Post a Comment