Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Casey Sprehe, ENDOW Youth presenter, editor, and author, Colorado

Lent is my spiritual training for my marathon in life. When I decide I want to run a race, I always have to back-pedal a couple months and train for it. The training is hard, and it's my least favorite part of the race. I want to give up, but there is the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak, so I keep running. The challenges are tough, but I become stronger/faster only when I meet and exceed them. Race day and the finish line become attainable because I trained.
Lent is the same way. God gives me a chance to share in his Easter Sunday. It's exciting. I want to do it. However, it comes at the cost of his Good Friday. Just like training for a race, it's hard, and Lent is my least favorite liturgical season, while I'm in it that is. He calls me to sacrifice and do penance. I can't do it alone. But I know he's true to his promises, and if I keep meeting him in his sufferings, he'll be there to help me. He's like my trainer. He calls me deeper into his passion and death, so that I can rise with him in his victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment