Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Erin Baxley, Young Adult ENDOW participant, Colorado

As for Lent, it's one of those things that I don't really look forward to, but I love the feeling afterwards--like going to the dentist. Typical human that I am, I don't like to make sacrifices and fast and part of me dreads this season for those very reasons. But once my human nature takes a break, it gets easier to see how prayerful, how melancholy, and how beautiful Lent really is. Culturally, we're so trained for an 'instant' society; we're don't have to anticipate anything anymore. It can be really satisfying to let the anticipation of Easter build, culminating in the Triduum when the Church is at it's height of beautiful traditions. Sacrificing and fasting included, it's well worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment